Thursday, December 25, 2008

It was Christmas 1999


She's an old girl now.
I'm going to tell a story that my husband can no longer hear....it makes him cringe because I've told it to him so many times.
It begins like this and if Mr. Addicted Rantings hears this he walks out of the room....
It was Christmas 1999.
It was my first Christmas alone, I had been back at work for a few months since Michael past and it was in everyone's opinion that I should get a dog to keep me company. A friend at work's husband was a big wig in the precinct that covered my neighborhood so all his cop friends would look out for me. They too would tell me to get a dog, I'd feel a lot safer.
So getting back to my infamous tale. It was Christmas eve 1999 and we had no one around at work so we decided to take a long lunch hour and visit the local animal shelter. I wasn't an animal person back then, I was too concerned with how clean the house was to ever let any four legged possibly muddy, smelly and fur shedding thing into my living quarters, but to only humor my coworker/friends I went along. None of the dogs interested me. I was ready to leave when the girl at the rescue said she had one dog left but she wasn't ready for adoption, she didn't get along well with anyone and was very scared, she was as she said "unadoptable"... They had her separated in the "house". Ok, I figured I'll take a look at this pathetic creature...
It was snowing and out she walked, head down, tail between her legs, the saddest looking site I'd ever seen. I started to cry and said yes I'll take her, she's meant to be mine.
I went back to work and and at 5:00 I went off to the shelter alone to pick her up. I asked what to do with her? I hadn't a clue....they simply said put her in the car and take her home.
She walked into the house and instantly pooped, she looked terrified as if this was going to be the end for her. I told her it was ok and that I was terrified too. We called my deceased husband's best friend to come over and the three of us fell asleep together that night in the living room.
Eventually I learned how to be a dog owner, although I think I put her through a lot when I first got her. She became my everything, I was lonely and sad and she was not the type of dog to handle all my neediness. I am the only dog owner who would have to beg her dog to come up on the bed. I also later decided to quit my job and go back to school which meant that Jasmine and I spent a lot a lot of time together....I think too much for my poor Jas...
Jasmine set her own boundaries with me and I respect her for that. If I cry, and I did do that often, she will lay by my side. She will never let me be sad alone. Other than that she likes her space.
Mr. Addicted Rantings knew how to win my heart and that was to win over Jasmine. He bought a bone with him to our second date. She fell in love and so did I.
Jasmine is now really Mr. Addicted Ranting's dog although I know she loves me. She's been my angel. She's an old girl now just like her mom. I believe she was sent to me from heaven. She was a Christmas Miracle.

1 comment:

Shadow said...

beautiful, simply beautiful story!