Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Life


Today I heard a lot of very sad stories. I don't know if this is an AA saying or what but I try to think about this when I'm feeling down...if everyone threw their problems into a pile I would probably choose to take back my own.

My friends are having some hard times and my heart goes out to them. I've been given a good dose of perspective. Sure I'm terrified of losing my job but today I am employed. My husband is an addict but he's in recovery. My parents are alive and although they have their ailments, nothing is life threatening. Money is tight, but we have a roof over our heads.

I have a lot to be grateful for, although I wish it didn't take hearing my dear friends problems to make me less self absorbed.

I guess that is a character defect that I will have to work on.

There was a time in my life that I was very aware that a future as I knew it wouldn't exist. We lived without that sense of tomorrow...we lived with the word "terminal"...it's a strange way to live, very hurtful yet it forces you to stay in the present and take from life all the joy you possibly can.

Life is hard, no doubt...hard for all of us. Hard especially for some of my friends...although they are my inspiration because for the most part they seem to hold it together a hell of a lot better than I do.

3 comments:

Shadow said...

mmm yes, life is a terminal disease. but to think i have to live a life, i don't know how long, and be sad, unhappy, disappointed, whatever, kills me. so rather, i look at the rising sun and grab the warmth and hope of a new day.

Lou said...

I like what you said about terminal forces us to live in the present. You have been through a lot, and I hear a strong & loving heart inside you.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya.